1/29/2010

San cristoba De La Habana Muralla (Cuba)


This is a very special cigar for me since I bought it from LCDH in Prague last April and I had been saving it since then for a special occasion smoke.
This occasion did not arrive so I thought this was as good time as any to light up this big torpedo!

This one was from a box dated '06 and almost four years of age can do wonders on a cigar like this one.

Appearance

Big and impressive cigar. Well constructed with good oils and a lovely milk coffee wrapper.
Smooth with just one big vein running down the length of the cigar but other than this nothing else.
The foot gives off a delicate leather aroma with some dried flowers.

Cut and cold draw

Easy cut with the Xikar tool.
Draw is easy with some resistance and before lighting it gives nutty and leathery flavors.

First third

After toasting the foot with a torch to the point where the cigar was completely lit I started puffing.
First impression is is that despite the large size of the Muralla draw is easy with a perfect resistance.
Toasted nuts and i think I'm tasting dry flowers??

Tastes are very refined and subtle and leave you wondering how this will evolve..
I would say that it is a medium bodied smoke but flavor seems to be so complex that it really makes you feel complete.
What amazes me is how clean and fresh it leaves the palette after each puff.

Although this is a big cigar draw is effortless and burn line is razor sharp. Ash is holding well at least for an inch.
Very smooth and very complex!!
Getting closer to the second third and the Muralla has now turned leathery but not “in your face”.
Everything is balanced, like the cigar trying to say” I am going to give you a great smoking experience!!”.

Second third

Into the second third and things are going great

Construction- Perfect
Burn – Perfect
Flavor – fantastic
Smooth,complex with a gentle development and constant surprises. Half way into it and the cigar has opened up.
Draw is perfect and floods the mouth with tons of tons of leather this time accompanied with cocoa undertones. Nice cool smoke, clear and gentle but still makes you feel like having a stake dinner!!

Ash is holding for at least two inches before dropping it into the ashtray( wife doesn't like accidents).
I decided to pair it with some coffee but I think that some cold lemon water will be perfect to taste
the flavor without anything getting in the way.

Third and last part

On the last third the cigar has picked up in body and now is on the lighter side of full.
Taste has changed once again and now is spicy, I think nutmeg, with a creamy feeling to it.
An inch and a half before the end and a solid tobacco taste takes the stage for the finish.

This cigar is a true kaleidoscope of flavors.
Definitely a cigar for any smoker but i think it will be better appreciated by a seasoned smoker since some smoking experience will help shorting out the flavors and the complexity of this Cuban beauty.

I don't want it to end but I am burning my fingers with the nub. I wish it was longer!!

Final thoughts

This is one of those wow cigars and not just a smoke.
It's a cigar that takes you for a journey, both physically with its ever-changing flavors but also mentally!!

It is a reward, a window to a place where “good life” is a reality hidden in little things.

I am sure these cigars will age beautifully( unfortunately I don't have any left) and become a classic.
I might sound like I'm exaggerating with this one but it has been very long since I last smoked such a great cigar.

One last word about Prague; It is a beautiful city, romantic, with a Bohemian atmosphere like no place else.
People a friendly and smoking cigars is not a problem since you can smoke your stick of choice anywhere you want and there is a La Casa Del Habanos very close to the main square of the old town.